Visible / Invisible. 26.01 – 21.02.2021
A series of sign-symbolic ornamental linocuts by Dzvinka Zagaiska.
The creation of the project Visible / Invisible began with the beginning of the quarantine. Probably, it was not accidental. Linocut – a technique in which it was performed by the artist takes time. Meditative work with a cutter in layers of linoleum very appropriately slowed down the rhythm of creativity. There was an opportunity to be engaged in long laborious work, to experiment with the press and reflection.
Dzvinka Zagaiska explores the sign, symbol, texture, shape and content. Their interrelation is both visual, aesthetic, compositional – and meaningful.
Being in search of the border of image and content, known and unknown, sacred and profane proportions and reflections create new meanings.
For the artist, quarantine was a period of rethinking meanings, approaches to work and important markers. Such as important /unimportant,meaningful/meaningless,necessary/ unnecessary.
We live in a world full of opposites and substitutes. It is not only a philosophical or culturological understanding but also a completely utilitarian one. This is a project-reflection on the feeling of peace in 2020. Sense of the world through the sign and symbol of their visible and invisible part.
Dzvinka Zahayska was born in Lviv and grew up in Drohobych.
– In 2013 she graduated from LNAM (Department of Monumental Painting)
– 2016 graduated from LNAM (Department of History and Theory of Culture)
Areas of interest are folk and naive art, traditional culture, symbols.
Works in the field of easel and monumental painting, graphics, book illustration. Several children’s books have been published in New York, USA (“Winter light book”). And illustration of Dmytro Pavlychko’s poem “Rainbow” is also included.
Author of more than 1000 original Easter eggs, which are in private collections in Mexico, Canada, USA, Germany, Poland, Australia.
Participant of all-Ukrainian and international exhibitions and plein airs. In 2012 she was included in the album SNAC Ukraine competition 2012-2013 (150 artists of Ukraine in 2012). Professionally engaged in photography. Coordinator of many social, charitable, cultural and artistic projects, plein airs, master classes as a member of the Scout organization Plast and a cultural figure.
Main exhibitions and personal projects:
– 2020 Christmas exhibition. Gallery Green sofa, Lviv.
– 2018 exhibition of author’s Easter eggs and paintings on glass “Tree of Life” Sokal, Museum “Man. Land. Universe”
– 2018 Symmetry project, Palace of Arts, Drohobych
– 2017 Easter exhibition “Tree of Life” together with Oksana Radkevich. Restaurant Hrushevsky, Lviv
– 2017 exhibition of paintings on glass Art Visions. Together with O. Sikora. Bilas Museum, Truskavets
– 2017 Symmetry project, LNAM Gallery, Lviv
– 2017 Youth Exhibition “Pink Bulldozer 2014” Odessa Art Museum, Odessa
– 2015 The exhibition is dedicated to the beginning of the Revolution of Dignity, Lviv
– 2014 participant of the project “Art_Maidan”, Museum of the Berlin Wall “Checkpoint Charlie”, Mitte, Berlin
– 2014 “Awakening” Melanka Gallery ART, Lviv
– 2013 All-Ukrainian exhibition dedicated to the Artist Day, Kyiv
– 2013 Christmas exhibition Gallery “Slyvka”, Lviv
– 2013 organizer and participant of the All-Ukrainian plein air “Colors of the Franko region”, c. Nahujevychi
– 2012 I place in the student exhibition-competition “Lviv – through the eyes of youth”, Lviv Ukrsotsbank
– 2012 Youth Exhibition “Fresh Look -2” Palace of Arts, Drohobych
– 2012 International Art Lviv Autumn Salon “High Castle”, Palace of Arts, Lviv
– 2011 Second place in the student exhibition-competition “Lviv – through the eyes of youth”, Lviv UKRSOTSBANK
– 2009 All-Ukrainian exhibition dedicated to the Artist Day, Kyiv
– 2008 International Art Lviv Autumn Salon “High Castle”, Palace of Arts, Lviv
– 2007 All-Ukrainian exhibition “Women – artists of the country”, Kyiv
– 2006 “Colorful dreams of angels” Palace of Arts, Drohobych